Friday, February 3, 2012

Tachyons...grumble

I think I might have an irrational fear/obsession with time travel.  It's similar to the fear/obsession many claim to have with zombies.  It's that fine line between "Holy shit...I hope this never happens to me."  and "God it would be exhilarating!"

(read more after the jump)
Let's face it.  Time travel is one of those plot devices you need to NOT think about even a little bit or it totally screws up the awesome episode of Star Trek you're watching.  It's like the Universal Translator, but much cooler.  Time travel will ALWAYS create  paradox.  There is no exception to this rule, save "Yesterday's Enterprise".  But then they screwed that up by making Tasha Yar have a baby.  What I am saying here, is that time travel is always a headache when you really think about it.  If I was to find myself hopping from time period to time period, struggling not to uncreate myself or worse, something important like the career of Weird Al Yankovic (Imagine the terrible world it would be without "The Saga Begins" or "UHF") it would be a nightmare navigating the minefield of the past.  And forget returning from the future.  Trying to avoid/accomplish the things you learned while there, only to fulfill a self fulfilling prophesy, or just ruin everything.  Talk about dangerous.

But at the same time...come on!  How fun would it be?  And it would provide you with endless opportunities for sarcastic witticisms and snarky complaints.  We all know that if you turn you brain off and just enjoy, those time travel episodes are the best.  That's why everyone loved Desmond on "Lost" and who doesn't love Quantum Leap.  Oh yes, and if you try to tell me that your favorite episode of Star Trek: TOS isn't City of the Edge of Forever I will brain you.  Okay.  Unless you say The Trouble With Tribbles.  I'd buy that too.

And there you have it.  I am terrified of the complexities of avoiding paradoxes and making my way through the hazardous past...but I am also highly intrigued by the idea of it.  I suppose I have created my own paradox, in a sense.  I both want, and don't want, to travel through time.  Crap.  I am going to stop thinking about this before I start bleeding from my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment